Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Your Defining Moment

I saw someone write about a moment that defined their life and who they were. After reading their particular moment that defined them, I started thinking about mine. Though there are many moments in a person’s life that molds and shapes the person they become, there is a moment that sticks out clearly in my mind. Here is my major moment and the small ones leading up to it.

As many of you know, Aaron and I met on a cruise. Sounds a little farfetched when you first hear that, but it was, looking back, the most important time in my life. One of the first things almost anyone remembers about Aaron is that smile. The one he shows when he’s having a good time, when he’s really proud or really excited. That was probably the first thing that I really fell in love with. To this day, that smile lights up my world. We met on the first day of the cruise, but it took a few days for us to really zero in on one another. We became fast friends just talking about who we were really, and what we wanted out of life. One afternoon, while in the room getting dressed for dinner that night, Aaron called the room and asked if we could go for a walk. Of course I said yes!! Aaron came to the room and off we went, up to a place on the deck where many conversations were had between us. It was small talk all the way out to the deck, but when we got there Aaron’s voice changed and took on a more serious tone. He turned to me and looked me dead in the eyes…This is my moment guys! Aaron, in a VERY firm voice, looked at me and told me that he really liked me and wanted to continue getting to know me. Then he gave me a strong warning, that this meant just me and him. He wanted my concentration and devotion only to him while we got to know one another, and he would do the same for me. No talking to other guys on the cruise or at home. I was 18 years old, and to many who hear this story, Aaron sounded a little crazy after only knowing me about 2 days, to ask me to completely concentrate on him and only him, but I just remember looking up and saying yes, that was what I wanted too. Then he took my face in his hands and kissed me for the first time. That was THE defining moment that shaped my life. Aaron and I have been together ever since. No break-ups and no serious fights. It didn’t take us long to figure out that there was no person or thing worth us not being together. I love and need this man like the very air I breathe. He is my safe place, my best friend, my everything, and all because of that defining moment in time! That moment led to our marriage, our home and the birth of our beautiful children… all of this because of one moment in time where we decided to be together.

That’s my moment guys!! What’s yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment