Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I remember when I was pregnant with Ty man. I recall saying “you guys mark my words; this little guy is going to be a handful”. Well, that was 2 ½ years ago, July 2, 2007 and since then, boy has my little Ty man been a handful! I should have known after 14 hours of labor, and I had only dilated to 4 cm, that I had a stubborn little guy on my hands! The first few months of Ty’s life went by like a breeze. I thought, “Man, this is easier than I thought it would be.” Ty was rarely sick and just a joy to be around. Then March of 2008 came, Ty was only 8 months old and he became REALLY sick!! I took him to Dr. Martin, our pediatrician, (who I HIGHLY recommend) who took one look at him and knew he would be admitted to the hospital… and he was… with the flu. That may seem insignificant, and it might have been, if only that were the only story I had to tell. When Ty was 1 ½, he was out playing with Daddy and fell on concrete where he hit his head. We spent that night in the PICU with a skull fracture and a severe concussion. Do you see where I’m going with this? Right before Ty turned 2 years old, he was having severe stomach pains, which urgent care put off as a stomach virus. When this “stomach virus” only got worse, we were off to Dr. Martin again. Thank goodness for Dr. Martin. Ty was diagnosed with intussusception of the bowels. A very hard diagnosis to make, but a situation that is deadly without treatment. Do you see why I always recommend Dr. Martin? So in less than 2 years, that is 3 hospital stays. I thought I would pull my hair out! But even with all of these things happening to my precious Ty man, I still told Aaron, my husband, how very blessed we are. While some people may wonder where God is during those difficult times, I am thankful, because I know He is right there with me. He pulled my little man through each and every time. His Grace saved Ty from a very serious injury and a sickness that has killed many children.

You may wonder why I am choosing now, over half a year later to remember these things and write them down. The reason is because the Lord has saved us once again. On Monday afternoon, Ty was outside playing with his Dad. He came in to ask me a question and I sent him back out to Aaron. What I regret is not following him to make sure he went straight to his Daddy. Aaron did not see Ty come back out. What happened next makes me nauseated just to think about. I heard Aaron scream my name from outside, and there is Ty, choking and having trouble breathing. Ty had taken the charcoal lighter fluid from beside our grill, and he had drank it. We’re not sure how much he had, but he had choked and aspirated the liquid down into his lungs. I called Poison Control while Aaron stayed with Ty. It took half an hour for the coughing and choking to subside, and the wonderful lady at the poison control center told us he was not in danger unless he started having trouble breathing and running fever within 24 hours of the incident. Those 24 hours came and went, and last night when I went to put Ty to sleep I realized he had a fever. I decided he should sleep with me and Aaron. As the night went on his breathing got worse to where he was almost gasping. I checked his temperature again and it was 102. I called Poison Control again and was instructed to take him directly to the emergency room and that they would call and tell the ER that I was on my way. After a chest x-ray to make sure the lighter fluid had not compromised Ty’s lungs, the doctor told us that Ty was going to be just fine. He said he thought that the lighter fluid only irritated Ty’s lungs and did not cause a toxic infection. He sent us on our way with an inhaler for Ty’s wheezing and breathing issues until his lungs are back to 100%. As I sit here writing this, Ty is taking a nap in the other room. I can only imagine how tired his little 2 ½ year old body is after going through all of that and not getting any sleep last night. Please everyone, put your lighter fluid away!! Ours will always be put away from now on, and not just left beside the grill. Ty poured it into a cup before he drank it, and I’m sure it just looked like water to him, but it can be deadly if inhaled into the lungs!! I’m writing this as not only a warning to all parents, but as a PRAISE to God for looking over us! Thank you Lord! Through You all things ARE possible and I am forever grateful for Your presence in our lives and our hearts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment