Monday, March 29, 2010

Don't Make Women Like That Anymore

Women have changed and been molded into the ever changing society over the years. Many women today want to be the strong business type. Well I grew up in a small town with a large family, and I can tell you exactly who I want to be, and it has nothing to do with business or my career. I want to be the strong “family” type. If you were lucky enough to have one of these women in your life, someone to show you the person you would like to become, you are truly blessed. If you have not had a role model like this in your life, let me tell you about mine so that you can understand exactly what I am talking about.

The strong “family” type works hard for her family. Not for the gratification or for the money, but for the love and happiness that she makes for them. She cooks 3 meals a day for her family, and whether 2 or 20 show up, somehow there is always enough food for every last one. Every single person in the family thinks that they are her favorite, because that’s how she treats everyone, equally with her love, kindness, and affection. (And by the way, I was really her favorite.) She’s not naïve to the ways of the world, or the way her family lives in it, but she believes in every last ones ability to be the best person they can be. Even though she’s never had a lot of money, at Christmas time, there is a present for every single member of her family under the tree. Kind words are the only ones you ever hear her say. You can talk to her about anything and tell her everything knowing that you will not be judged and it will not be repeated. She may have to say an extra prayer for you that night, but that’s her way. She trusts and believes in God. She knows His way is the only way and trusts her life and her family to Him. She goes to church on Sunday, and hopes you will too, but if you’re not there she will not hold it against you. She loves you and prays for you just the same. When it comes to the end of her precious and touching life, she is not afraid or regretful. It is peaceful and calm, because you know exactly where she’s going and how happy she will be to get there. At the same time, it breaks your heart, because you have lost her. It’s hard to lose a beacon of light in a constantly darker world, to lose an angel.

Some people reading this already know the person I am writing about, some of you do not. Her name was Dorothy Rudean Horton, my grandmother. She left this world over 7 years ago, but for the hearts of her family and those who knew her, she lives every single day. She was the strongest most loving person I have ever known and probably ever will know. She lived and fought for her family every day she was alive and even now, it’s evident that we all still feel her loving and fighting for us. When I think of who I want to be, with my husband, children and grandchildren, she is the person I’ve always wanted to be. I can see her ways passing on to my parents, and I pray that she lives in me a little more every day. Because that’s the person I want to be, the strong “family” type. I won’t take a career with me when I’m gone, but the legacy of a strong family will not only go with me, but will live on forever. Thank you Granny, for showing me what a mother and grandmother is supposed to be. My love for you cannot be measured.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! I miss that woman so much and I always pray that God will give me a little piece of her :) If one day I ever have a girl, she will be named Brinley after granny's mother. Granny was so happy about that, and to this day I would love to have a 3rd child, and maybe I can fulfill that promise to granny. If not, kayla says she will use that name...and that's ok with me. Yes, granny was so very special, so amazing...and there was none like her. I too always felt like I was her favorite, and so did Shannon, and Kayla, etc. Granny must have secretly told each one of us that we were her favorite and that alone makes her more wonderful. She wanted each of us to feel like we were the only one, and so she told us we were. How beautiful is that! If we all could be just like her... :)

    Love u :)

    ReplyDelete